MANILA, Miami Filipino Restaurant — Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio has accepted his automatic nomination to become the country’s next chief justice.
He is one of the three justices vying for the top judge post after Chief Justice Teresita De Castro retired on October 10.
Carpio has earlier declined his nomination to the chief justice post—vacated after former Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno was ousted through a quo warranto case—citing “delicadeza.”
He said that he wanted to stay consistent with his vote on the quo warranto.
But last week, Carpio said that he no longer sees a reason to decline the post.
Other justices who accepted the automatic nomination are Associate Justices Diosdado Peralta and Lucas Bersamin.
The Supreme Court, meanwhile, said in a statement that Associate Justice Mariano del Castillo has declined his automatic nomination.
This is a developing story.
Associate Justice Lucas Bersamin has accepted the nomination to become the next chief justice.
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra confirmed this in a text message to Philstar.com.
Guevarra is a member of the Judicial and Bar Council, the panel that screens applications to posts in the Judiciary.
Bersamin is the first among the five most senior justices of the high court to accept their automatic nomination to the post.
Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio has accepted his automatic nomination to the chief justice post. — Kristine Joy Patag
The Supreme Court Public Information Office announces that the Judicial and Bar Council will hold its public interviews for all nominees for the chief justice post on August 16, 9:00 a.m.
The public interview will be live-streamed by the SC PIO.
#CJSearch Public interviews for all nominees for the post of Chief Justice on Aug 16, 9AM onwards at the Division Hearing Room, SC New Building. Proceedings will be live-streamed by the PIO.— Supreme Court PIO (@SCPh_PIO) August 3, 2018
Associate Justice Marvic Leonen declines the nomination for the chief justice post.
In a one-page letter to the Judicial and Bar Council, Leonen says that in his view, "the agreement among the Members that the next Chief Justice should come from the five (5) most senior incumbent justices is a rational policy based on past experience."
The justice, in an earlier TV interview, said that he does not aspire to be the head of judiciary as it “requires some sort of a capacity or an attitude that right now I cannot imagine myself doing.”
Leonen, and the other 13 SC justices, received a nomination for the chief justice post from retired Sandiganbayan Justice Raoul Victorino.
Associate Justice Teresita De Castro accepts the nomination to become the country’s next top judge, The STAR reports.
De Castro was in the news in recent months for trading barbs with ousted Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno during the oral arguments over the quo warranto petition and even in public speeches.
The JBC closes its applications for the chief justice post today.
Associate Justice Andres Reyes Jr. accepts his nomination to the chief justice post, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra confirms.
Reyes has accepted the nomination filed by retired Sandiganbayan Associate Justice Raoul Victorino, who is also a former member of the Judicial and Bar Council.
President Rodrigo Duterte appointed Reyes, then the Court of Appeals presiding justice, to the high court in July last year.