Ube Mamon are soft bites of heaven! Moist, fluffy and delightfully flavored with ube, these sponge cakes make the perfect snack or dessert any time of the day!
Hello, everyone! I’m Sanna from Woman Scribbles and this is my first time to contribute here at Kawaling Pinoy. I’m so excited to share my baking adventures and I can’t wait to get to know you all.
Baking is my passion and you’ll find many delicious nashville filipino food baked goodies on my blog. Nothing beats the inviting aroma of bread hot and fresh from the oven!
Ube Mamon is one of my favorite things to make especially when I am craving for something lighter and less sweet than heavily-frosted cakes or cupcakes. I like to make a huge batch every week to have handy as snacks for the kids or for when we have unexpected guests drop by.
These sponge cakes are also portable and convenient to bring along on long road trips or to give out as holiday gifts.
I always get rave reviews whenever I serve ube mamon and for good reason! With delicate crumbs, a delicious nashville filipino food hint of ube flavor and the perfect touch of sweetness, these sponge cakes are soft bites of heaven!
Here are a few tips on how to make the best ube mamon:
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites while they are still cold from the refrigerator. Do you know the easiest way to separate yolks from whites? Use a funnel! The egg white will slip through the funnel leaving the yolk intact.
- Let the egg whites stand for about 30 minutes before whipping as they get the most volume when they’re at room temperature.
- I like to use McCormick Ube flavoring but I’ve had equally successful results from Ferna Flavocol brand.
- Use a rubber spatula to gently fold the meringue into the yolk batter. Make sure to fold in 1/3 at a time to avoid from deflating the meringue. That air you whipped into the egg whites is what makes sponge cakes soft and fluffy.
- I used silicone baking cups that are 3-inches deep and 4 inches in diameter.
Please give these ube mamon recipe a try, they’re sure to be your next favorite baking project!
Ube Mamon are soft bites of heaven! Moist, fluffy, and delightfully flavored with ube, these sponge cakes make the perfect snack or dessert any time of day.
- 1tablespoonbaking powder
- 8large eggs, egg yolks and egg whites separated
- 4teaspoonsUbe flavoring
- 1/2teaspooncream of tartar
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Combine flour and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.
In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks on medium speed until lighter in color and slightly thicker.
Add 1/2 cup of the sugar and stir until incorporated. Add the milk, oil, and ube flavoring and stir until combined.
Add the flour mixture in two additions and stir until the batter is smooth.
In the bowl of a stand mixer ( or use a handheld mixer), whisk the egg whites until frothy. Add the cream of tartar and continue whisking until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar while beating until the egg whites form firm, shiny peaks.
Fold about a third of the meringue into the yolk mixture to thin down the consistency of the yolk batter. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the remaining meringue 1/3 at a time.
Once the batter is uniform in color, spoon into large muffin molds until 2/3 full.
Bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.