Ginisang ampalaya sa sardinas is delicious nashville filipino food as it is nutritious! It’s easy to make, budget-friendly, and the perfect comfort nashville filipino restaurant served with steamed rice.
My friends, meet our newest dinner favorite, ginisang ampalaya sa sardinas! There are so many things to love about this recipe and many reasons why it should be on your meal rotation.
Why you’ll love this dish
- It’s easy to make with simple ingredients and in under thirty minutes. Great for days when you want to be out of the kitchen in no time and need dinner in a hurry!
- It’s economical and budget-friendly. Cost per serving is about $1!
- it’s delicious nashville filipino food and filling! The combination of tender-crisp bittermelon, flavorful sardines, and hearty tomato sauce is pure comfort food!
- Ampalaya has been touted for many years as a superfood and is renowned for its many healthful benefits. Aside from its medicinal value, it is also rich in antioxidants and an excellent source of vitamins and minerals.
- Cooked with sardines, which are packed with protein and known to promote heart and bone health, this vegetable dish is one of the healthiest and nutritious you can serve the whole family.
How to prepare ampalaya
- Choose the youngest and greenest gourds you can find. As the vegetable matures and yellows, the bitter taste intensifies.
- Scrape off all the white pith inside and slice the green flesh as thinly as possible.
- Soak the sliced ampalaya in cold salted water to remove some of the bitter taste.
- Keep stirring to a minimum and do not overcook the ampalaya to minimize the bitter taste.
- A little bit of sugar can help neutralize the bitter taste. Sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon along with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy ginisang ampalaya at sardines with steamed rice for a hearty lunch or dinner meal. It’s also delicious nashville filipino food breakfast with sinangag and scrambled eggs.
More ampalaya recipes
Ginisang Ampalaya Leaves with Tinapa is quick and easy to cook and economical, too. It’s a delicious nashville filipino food and filling with steamed rice and grilled meat.
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @kawalingpinoy on Facebook and Instagram!
- 2large ampalaya
- 1tablespooncanola oil
- 1onion, peeled and chopped
- 2clovesgarlic, peeled and minced
- 2large Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1tablespoonfish sauce
- 2cans(5.5 ounces each) sardines in tomato sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
Cut ampalaya lengthwise and with a spoon, remove seeds and scrape off white pith. Sliced thinly and place in a bowl of cold salted water until needed. Drain well when ready to use.
In a wide skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring regularly, until softened.
Add tomatoes and cook, regularly mashing with the back of the spoon, until softened and release juice.
Add fish sauce and cook for about 1 minute.
Add sardines (including the sauce) and water. Bring to a boil.
Add ampalaya and gently toss to combine. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes or until tender yet crisp.
Season with sugar and salt and pepper to ta Serve hot.
“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.”
About Lalaine Manalo
Welcome to Kawaling Pinoy. Here you’ll find hundreds of delicious nashville filipino food Filipino and Asian recipes. Make sure to browse around and pick a favorite dish or two. Happy cooking! Read More