Eggplants are excellent fellows when roasted, and they’re incredibly easy to get some flavor out of.
You’ve probably roasted eggplants a dozen times before, but this one-step marinade makes them sweet, and taste darker and even more like smoke and fire than usual. Just pour hot water, olive oil, and sesame oil into some red miso paste, then introduce the eggplants to this simple rub. Place them on a tray and put them in the oven until they blister, and their skins start peeling off, and the flesh looks soft to the touch. They are so moreish, you’ll probably want them at the dinner table beside various meats, or even as the center of a vegetarian spread.
Roasted Miso Eggplant Steak
- Serves: 2
- Active time: 30 mins
- Total time: 30 mins
- Difficulty: Easy
Miso Eggplant Steaks
- 1kg eggplants, halved
- ½ cup red miso paste
- ¼ cup water, hot
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place the miso paste in a large bowl.
- Pour the hot water over the miso, whisking
constantly until smooth.
- Add the olive oil and sesame oil and whisk into the mixture.
- Take the halved eggplants and toss in the miso until coated.
- Let sit in marinade, tossing every 5 minutes, for about 30 minutes.
- Place the marinated eggplants, cut side down, onto an oiled baking sheet.
- Place in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes until deeply browned.
- Remove from the oven and serve eggplant.